Bio of Nicole Piar, an artist, illustrator and author based in Los Angeles. Known for her Spirit Cats Deck and her unique, magical paintings. She focuses on themes of adventure, wonder, and the inner world.
Intuition, dreams, and imagination fascinate me. I kneel beside the river of mystery and attempt to glimpse into the depths. I bring back some of what I see and reflect it back to you. We can all feel alone at times. It is my quest through art and story-telling to create a bridge between my inner world and yours – to counter-balance separation with a moment of union.
While I have always felt a pull towards creativity and healing, recently I have found myself happily residing at the intersection of these two worlds. I created the Spirit Cats Deck, a 48-card inspiration deck that helps spark intuition. I also do Soul Prints which are intuitive paintings of the inner you. I teach unique courses designed to help you know and embrace your true self whether through art-making or working with tarot/oracle cards. I am currently working on my first children's book.
The world is full of wonders. Let's dream together.
commissions, illustration, art licensing, hand-drawn lettering, art exhibitions
Representation: For children's illustration, please contact my agent, Kathleen Rushall at Andrea Brown Lit. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Background & Education:
Nicole Piar, received her BA in Art from Yale University and went on to illustrate and design for the gift, paper, home decor, publishing, and apparel sectors for the last 10 years. Her art has graced products sold everywhere from large retailers such as Barnes and Nobles, Pier 1, Homegoods, Macy’s, Nordstrom, Michael’s Arts and Crafts, TJ Max, Cost Plus World Market, and Fred Segal to small boutiques and museum shops.
My favorite place to share my work is Instagram. pop in and say hello.
Circle of Stitches, Salem, MA
Coastal Cat Project, Fort Bragg, CA
Dreaming Goddess, Poughkeepsie, NY
Elemental Energies, Wells, ME
Elemental Tarot Museum, CHINA
Fantasia Crystals, Phoenix, AZ
Feral Strumpet, UK
Five Sisters, Miami, FL
Follow Your Heart, Canoga Park, CA
Hello Violet, online shop
House of Intuition, Los Angeles, CA
Intentional Beads, Vaughn, CANADA
Intuitive Alchemy, Gig Harbor, WA
JOPO, Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Kae Apothecary, Lisbon, IA
Kate's Magik, Tuscon, AZ
Kihei Pet Supply, HI
Kit Tea SF, San Francisco, CA
Kitty Mao Mao, West Linn, OR
L.E.A.F., Carlsbad, CA
Magical Omaha, Omaha, NE
Meow-tique, Loxton, AUSTRALIA
New Renaissance Bookshop, Portland, OR
Paradise Found, Santa Barbara, CA
Phoenix & Dragon Bookstore, Alanta, GE
Phoenix & Lotus, Nashua, NH
Power of the Rainbow, Arlington, TX
Reflections Books, Coquitlam, CANADA
ROAR PDX, Portland, OR
Sedona New Age, Sedona, AZ
Studiofree, Ageo, Saitama, JAPAN
The Awareness Shop, New Paltz, NY
The Labyrinth, Dallas, TX
The Raven Wing Magical Co. Oakland, CA
The Raven Wing Magical Co. Seattle, WA
The Robin's Nest, Bellingham, MA
The Standard Goods, Seattle, WA
TTL Tarot Studio, CHINA
Urban Gypsies Boutique, Sedona, AZ
Waterlily, Portland, ME
We Luv Tarot, CHINA
When My Soul Whispered, AUSTRALIA
Witch City Wicks, Salem, MA
Zinnia Moon, online shop
"I can always tell when customers are looking at the Spirit Cats Deck when I start hearing, “Ooh,” “Ahh,” and “Oh my gosh, these are adorable!” People fall in love with the artwork, read the inspiring messages on the cards, and just have to bring the kittens home… they’ll often pick up a copy for a feline-loving friend as well. It’s no surprise to me that the Spirit Cats deck is consistently one of the best sellers in my shop." ~Jenn Waltner, Proprietor, Phoenix & Lotus
In Case You're Wondering:
- I currently live in Los Angeles in a very small but cosy apartment with a patch of garden and sunshine. I can walk to the sea and I live with my partner and my kitty.
- At 3 years old, I loved Pink Floyd's The Wall. I would lie on the rug with giant headphones and listen to the whole thing from beginning to end many, many times. Apparently, alienation was something I related to even as a toddler. hee hee.
- At 8 years old, I crafted and wrote my own illustrated spell book.
- Dance is an essential part of my life. I was in a ballet company from when I was little until I graduated high school. We did storybook ballets which combined my favorite things: fairy tales, dance, costumes, and magical sets. I also found rave culture which is built on dancing all night, letting go of inhibitions, and feeling free. Now, I love to dance under the full moon like a little happy witch. Oh... and I just discovered Lindy Hop and swing dancing and am loving that too.
- Yes, my first best friend was my cat.
- I grew up in the forest in New Hampshire. You couldn't see another house from my home – just trees. I used to pretend I was an orphan and had to survive on my own in the woods. It was amazing! I still love hiking, camping, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, and just being outside.
- I LOVE to read. My current favorite authors are Haruki Murakami, Virginia Woolf, Ursula LeGuinn, Roger Zelazny, and Nick Bantock.
- Current addictions: Mr. Robot (wow!), Westworld, and Game of Thrones
- First favorite movie and probably a major influence on me overall: Dark Crystal
- I have a growing collection of oracle and tarot decks. They help me set my intentions for the day and get clear. I think they are a special form of playful magic.
“Nicole’s work is whimsical, playful, and delightfully enchanting. It expressively catches your eye, then viscerally captures your heart.“ ~ Eva Torigoe
"Nicole's art captures love and makes you feel there is a great adventure right around the corner!! Each piece is a mini daydream. I purchased “The Little Traveler”. I love the colors. It makes me feel I am in a happy ethereal place, full of discovery! It touches my inner spirit and gives me such joy to have it in my house to look at every day!” ~Holly Ogawa
"Gentle healing. That’s the effect Nicole’s art has on my life. I take a glance at the worlds she has created and feel connected to something deeply meaningful, personal yet also universal. Her art feels like it's made just for me, appearing in my life when I need it most and becoming a trusted friend. Each piece invites us to connect to the divine in our subconscious." ~Katya Rudneva
“I now have 3 of Nicole’s paintings in my home and I absolutely love them all. These 3 paintings bring me such happiness and a sense of tranquility. Sometimes they are just what I need to get me feeling better or to get my thinking back on the right track. Nicole’s connection to Spirit and love is evident in her work as an artist. May the Spirit continue to move through her and inspire us all!” ~Janet Pacik
Become a Patron
If you would like to support my work as an artist, illustrator, and writer in the form of art materials and time, you can make a financial contribution by clicking the button below. I am on a mission to awaken wonder, help people connect to their inner worlds, and experience deeper liberation. Thank you for a sharing in this dream with me.